For His Glory: A Kaleidoscope of Wisdom is a collection of meaningful and powerful reflections from real life experiences coupled with practical biblical wisdom. Going beyond the normal inspirational book, For His Glory unveils a kaleidoscope of commonsense precepts that challenges the reader to discover the wonders of living for God's glory. Eye-opening, life changing and easy to understand, For His Glory will enrich your life. See what others are saying and take a peek inside by Clicking Here! Also available on Kindle by CLICKING HERE!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What is it that keeps you going?


Where does your strength come from? What is it that keeps you going? Especially when your life seems to be going down the drain? If you asked the average Joe on the street today, you might get a variety of different answers; and if you asked the average church going, you might be surprised at the variety of differing answers, many paralleling the average Joe’s answers. The average church goer may sing the catchy little tune, “The joy of the LORD is my strength;” but in reality he or she does not necessarily know the joy or the strength. So again I ask, “Where does your strength come from?”

The Old Testament prophet, Jeremiah, was no stranger to tough times and even tougher circumstances. He spent most of his life hated by many of his own countrymen and very few heeded his message; but he continued. When pressed, Jeremiah would cry out “O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction…” (Jeremiah 16:19).  Jeremiah found his strength by entering into the presences of the Lord; and as strange as it might seem, it was Jeremiah’s troubles that enabled him to enter into the presence God. Because Jeremiah’s troubles humbled and conditioned his heart, he was able to know his God in a greater way.  God put Jeremiah in a position where he had to learn to rely on Him; and because Jeremiah had to rely on God, he sought to live continually in the presence of God.

The apostle Paul had a similar experience with the thorn in his side:

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2Co 12:7-10 NIV)

What keeps the believer going and gives him or her strength is presence of God and God’s grace.

Are you beat down today?  Are you weary and torn? Then find strength in the Lord. God is our refuge and strength a very present help in trouble (Psalms 46:1).

Side Note: Charles Stanley sheds some light on the mystery of defining “the presence of the Lord” by saying, "Can you and I adequately define the presence of the Lord? No. But let’s describe it as 'God revealing Himself by His Spirit to our spirit for the specific purpose of encouraging us, enabling us, energizing us, informing us, or warning us.'”

Please take time to share this devotional thought with your friends.

May we recommend the following book for your reading enjoyment:

73222: The Traveler"s Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success

By Andy Andrews / Thomas Nelson

A unique blend of fiction, allegory, and inspiration, this book has motivated tens of thousands since its release in late 2002. Now this wildly successful parable is available in an affordable trade paper edition. This thought-provoking book encourages readers of all ages to reach their full potential using these simple keys to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment